Monday 28 April 2008

147 and 1201

"At the end of my career I’ll be able to look back and say I’ve entertained a lot of people." Ronnie O' Sullivan

I've gotten quite into the snooker this last week. Amidst conversations my friends were having that Mark Selby was a great call to win the 888.com World Snooker Championships, I couldn't even bring myself to bother taking part. Now I'm getting texts from a mate, ironically called Shaun Murphy just like the World Snooker number one, telling me that "Rocket Ronnie has gotten a 147."

I immediately flick to the snooker. It was tremendous. Beautiful in fact. I wouldn't normally post a link in my blog but this is quite simply brilliant. The spin he gets on the cue ball is out of this world.

It's been a transformation. I can't stop watching this game! A battle of two minds. The technique is quite simply awesome. I'd give my right arm to have half these players ability. If you're not into snooker I'd give this tournament a cheeky watch, it has been extremely rewarding for me.

It's a shame then, that Cue World in Southampton has been empty whenever I have gone in it. I can but hope there is a future for snooker in this country. I've seen a couple of documentaries about the game being a revelation in the far east in recent years, and I even read a news story on the web last week about the possibility of moving the tournament away from The Crucible. Sad state of affairs I guess.

The time as I'm writing now is five to eleven. Only an hour until Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out. Which leaves me with a little bit of a dilemma. Whilst I can't stand the Premiership on the whole, the Champions League has always charmed me. I think it's a culmination of the brilliant opening music, the tasty continental football and the lure that the big four take their opponents seriously.

So tomorrow night, what am I to do? I'm ever so worried that GTA 4 will keep me away from watching my beloved Barcelona. Ever since I went to their game against RCD Mallorca towards the climax of last season I've looked out for their result veciforously.

I can only hope I'm given an offer I can't refuse with regards to watching the game when quarter to eight hits. Hopefully confirmation that Rooney is out will do the trick. (No I don't dislkike "Roonaldo", I just think this particular game will be more interesting without him.)

Anyway, here's to Rocket Ronnie winning the title at the crucible.

Today's top five, Tinpot clubs. (Which isn't an insult!):

  1. Barnet. Love 'em, but Underhill is a hole. Absolutely chuffed they are in the top half of League Two
  2. Macclesfield Town. The silkmen get some ridiculous attendances. Though to be fair to the Macc Lads, their season hasn't been helped by the fact a certain Mr Ince seems to be on a mission to sign all their players.
  3. Dagenham and Redbridge. Whilst some people have no patience with "The Daggers" ridiculous attendences, I went to Victoria Road earlier this season and found the togetherness of the workers at the club, obviously all volunteers, extremely charming. Glad they secured League Status against Darlo at the weekend.
  4. Accrington Stanley. Their pitch at the Crown Ground is a joke, and I have no sympathy for them. Their attendance last season for a crucial relegation clash against Torquay, where it was free entry, was a mere couple of thousand.
  5. Grimsby Town. Your ground isn't even in Grimsby guys!

No comments: