Sunday 27 April 2008

Handbags at Dawn!

"There have been a few players described as the new George Best over the years, but this is the first time it's been a compliment to me." George Best.

I feel the need to start today's blog finishing off what I started at the end of my post last night! Manchester United. A great club with a great tradition. That occasionally get too big for their boots. I don't see why certain parties have been so offended by me calling them "Divas" over the Glazer fueled unrest and other fiascos!

I do feel, though, that perhaps I was a touch unfair. I won't so much retract it as state that I think the "We're bigger than you" syndrome is a disease that has infected the whole of the top four now.

I've covered United, so I'll hit Chelsea. Complaining about playing three games a week springs to the recent memory cortex in my jumbled mind. I would probably have fought back with a few questions at the time. Firstly, how much revenue did you make from those games? Secondly, did you see Torquay's complaint about a similar workout? (No, thats because it didn't happen.)

Arsenal, and Wenger. Eduardo's injury was horrific and I wish him a speedy recovery, but Wenger's reaction was wildly OTT. Lambasting Martin Taylor who clearly had been a tad clumsy. An inch to the left or the right would surely have saved the Croatian sharpshooter's ankle. My question to "Le Proffeseur" would simply have been to ask him if he caught his skipper William Gallas kicking Nani like a petty schoolboy in the Arsenal-United cup clash the week before.

Liverpool. Probably Britain's most glorified club, and deservedly so. A damn fine tradition. Why was it though, that Javier Mascherano was allowed to play for them after already representing two clubs that year. Why was Liverpool's appeal for him to be eligible accepted when at the same time AFC Wimbledon were deducted eighteen points for fielding Jermaine Darlington under similar shady circumstances?

Who's to blame for all these occurences? I genuinely don't believe the clubs in question are to blame too much. I think the F.A is giving too many allowances to the big four.

Today's top five...Ridiculous Quotes

-5. "Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?" Bobby Robson

-4. "Not only has he shown Junior Lewis the red card, but he's sent him off." Chris Kamara

-3. "Michael Owen isn't the tallest of lads, but his height more than makes up for that." Mark Lawrenson

-2. "I was in Moldova airport and I went into the duty-free shop - and there wasn't a duty-free shop." Andy Gray

-1. "Argentina are the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that." Kevin Keegan

No comments: